According to i.d. Gym’s website, “Fly Yoga is a unique yoga experience using specialized hammocks that enable your spirit to reach new limits.”
While in class, one is suspended from silk hammocks while practicing traditional yoga poses along with Pilates, dance and strength-conditioning exercises. Think Pink’s performance at the Grammy’s or Cirque Du Soleil.
Healthy in Chicago had the opportunity to take a Fly Yoga class this week and not only was it a workout, but it was FUN! This class is for all fitness levels, and incorporates yoga, Pilates, stretching, dance, strength training and acrobatics. You execute traditional yoga poses like warrior, but push yourself further into the pose using the silk hammock. You also can, if you are comfortable, hang and twirl upside down!
Benefits of Fly Yoga/AntiGravity Yoga
- Decompress tight joints, relieving pressure while aligning the vertebrae of the spine
- Perform advanced yoga inversions without neck or back compressions
- Hold challenging yoga postures longer and in correct alignment
- Stretch further with less strain
- Create better body awareness while increasing overall agility
Where You Can Take a Class
- i.d. Gym (2727 North Lincoln Avenue) 1 FREE week guest pass! Fly Yoga class: Monday 5:45pm, Wednesday 9am & 5:45pm, Saturday 11am.
Sources: i.d Gym, Timeout Chicago, AntiGravity Yoga