Make your own wholesome, on-the-go snack! Start with this recipe and mix and match to suit your taste using a combination of healthy ingredients in the chart below.
Work Time: 10 Minutes / Total Time: 55 Minutes + Cooling Time / Servings: 18
2 c cereal, coarsely chopped
3/4 c roasted unsalted nuts, coarsely chopped
3/4 c dried fruit, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 c second nut or fruit or an extra (see chart below for quantities), optional
1/3 c sugar, honey, or brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 lg egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract, optional
1. Heat oven to 300°F. Line 9″ x 9″ baking pan with foil. Oil and flour the foil. (An 8″ x 8″ pan can be used. Just bake 5 to 10 additional minutes.)
2. Mix cereal, nuts, fruit, flour, and an extra, if using, in large bowl.
3. Combine sugar and salt in small bowl. Whisk in egg whites and extract, if using. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Pat into the prepared pan with moist hands or plastic wrap.
5. Bake until bars are dry to the touch, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on ingredients used. Cool completely.
Need a little inspiration? Try these tempting combos for a healthy treat.
Strawberry Fields: Granola, cashews, strawberries, poppy seeds
Mango Tango: Wheat flakes, pistachios, mangoes, wheat germ
Perfect Pear: Puffed rice, pistachios, pears, chocolate chips
Big on Fig: Rice flakes, hazelnuts, figs, apricots
Peachy Keen: Wheat flakes, almonds, peaches, raisins
Classic: Granola, peanuts, raisins, chocolate chips
Prevention Magazine, December 2010